Monday, November 19, 2012

Fear is the mind-killer.

I don't have the words to express how I feel, so I'm going to steal the words of a few things and lay them out here as a reference for myself.
  • I must not fear
    Fear is the mind-killer
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration
    I will face my fear
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing
    Only I will remain
The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear; Dune, Frank Herbet
  • Well I've been bound and gagged
    I've been terrorized
    I've been castrated
    And I've been lobotomized
    But never has my tormentor come
    In such a cunning disguise
    I let love in
    I let love in
I Let Love In; Let Love In, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

And this is just something from French studies that stayed with me:
  • One of the things that defined surrealism, in fact the driving philosophy of surrealism, was the departure from rational thought. Most of the techniques the surrealists employed in their art were designed to bypass rational thought: the juxtaposition of unrelated objects to confound rational interpretation, automatism, shock and violence. This rejection of rationalism was a rejection of the ordering of French society itself. A defining feature of the establishment of the Third Republic was the solid foundation of rationality, which came to manifest itself as a society founded on reason, logic, and science: an efficient society free from the shackles of superstition. In the aftermath of the Great War, the progenitors of the surrealist movement figured that the advancement of rationality and a logical society had led to a profoundly illogical end. An efficient society had been geared into a war machine.
    The only course of action was simple (to the French, naturally): an irrational revolution. A complete overhaul of the then predisposed manner of perception. It was necessary to free the French people from rational thought. Logic is a cage that only allows itself.
There is no space here for rational, ordered, logical thinking. That would lead to something horrific.

No comments:

Post a Comment