Friday, July 27, 2012

A Sestina.

Hell yeah, motherfuckers.

Down by the banks and reddish reed I lie
In stupor in the mud I make my bed
An instant in the river's swell received
And yet it feels as though I have come home
To water's edge the soothing stream has come
To wear away the harsh and crumpled slate

What madness comes now, here, the hour is late!
The stillness of the mirror pool belies
Up and down the muddy stretch, he comes
Arousing me, untimely, still abed
And it would dare invade this sacred home?
A beast that evil nature has conceived

If you'd not seen it there, you'd not believe
Inhaling wretched air the chest inflates
A monster that the bugs and filth call home
Spewing pus to where I had once lied
No longer would I make the bank my bed
The vodyanoi, the water beast is come

My pupils bulge as I watch it become
The most horrid thing I ever had perceived
(Roused as I was from my now soiled daybed)
The mud and scum seemed to accumulate
Some aqua golem, sooth, I do not lie
That comes here to invade my current home

I piped up to shoo it back to its own home
That it might squelch right back whence it had come
But having no defense and no allies
A sharp whack to the skull did I receive
And then I crumpled broken on the slate
Defiled now, my once inviting bed

Now damaged as I lay there and I bled
I wondered what would become of my home
To see my home untarnished would elate
But now I feared a much harsher outcome
The beast turned from me, hoping to deceive
And turned back and struck; a rather poignant lie

To my bed the vodyanoi has come
At home, the water beast received
Upon the slate I, dead, must lie

No comments:

Post a Comment