Thursday, June 14, 2012

An Education.

I have the dulcet tones of banjo strings reverberating through my head.
Fortunately, I happen to own a banjo.
This bodes ill.

(Twelve-bar blues, A)

Sitting in that great big hall
Worrying my poor head off
Fretting over facts, quotes and citations
What the Hell am I doing here?

I've not a lot of time for this
For papers, grades and questions, miss
I haven't got the patience for annotations
What the Hell am I doing here?

Oh, that's right
Getting an education

They told me, boy, you've got to work
If you want to make it big
Learn to wall your head in concentration
What the Hell are you talking about?

Make no mistake about it, son
You'll end up one of those hopeless bums
If you don't learn to read the complications
What the Hell are you talking about?

We're talking about
Getting an education

So I took the train down to the west
I thought, those folks, now, they know best
I felt a sense of great anticipation
I wonder what it's all really about

I walked a mile in rain and sleet
To that great big university
My spirits underwent an elevation
I wonder what it's all really about

I thought
I'm gonna get an education

Small wonder now I soon found out
What this place was all about
This place of men and their dissertations
I found out what it was really all about

They put me in a great big hall
Where I worried my poor head off
Two hours of academic subjugation
I found out what it was really all about

And now
I'm getting an education

But on the way I met a man
A resident of this learning land
Who offered me some spirits and libations
I still don't know what that was all about

He told me 'bout all the good fun
About drinking past the setting sun
It's not so bad this place of ostentation
He told me what it was all about

This place
This place of education

During the tests and lectures here
It seems to me, despite my fears
I'd made a downright huge miscalculation
I know what it's all really about

The learning's half the fun, you know
No matter to what place you go
I set myself in my determination
Now that I know, what it's really all about

This learning infestation
Of mild intoxication
This place of often post-noon hibernation
This place of personalisation
Of dreams and revelations
Of formation, love, and frequent fornication
This place
This place of education

No comments:

Post a Comment